FALLING, REMOVING, AND CREATING HABITAT IN FIRE DAMAGED TREES
Friday 19th March Erica
Following the disastrous fires in recent times in Victoria many arborists volunteered or were called on to assist in the recovery program. Assessing, falling and working on fire damaged trees requires specialist knowledge, skills and ability. This VTIO sponsored workshop with the assistance of The Department of Sustainability and Environment aims to share some of the knowledge and skills that can be utilized in similar situations.
Sessions will be run on the following topics.
- Hazard Assessing Fire Damaged Trees.
- The Basics of Safe Tree Falling.
- Methods of SAFELY removing fire damaged trees.
- Habitat Creation in Fire Damaged Trees.
The course will be run in conjunction with “ARBORCAMP 2010” in a DSE fire damaged forestry or camp ground situation. Participants may choose to have
1. Observer Status (Unlimited numbers): $ 120 per participant, or
2. Active Status ( Limited to 20 participants): $ 220 per participant
All the participants are required to have the following:
- Current Hard Hat and eye and ear protection.
- Sturdy steel capped boots.
- Appropriate sensible clothing for a bush worksite.
- High-vis clothing or vest.
Participants who choose to participate in an “active manner” will be supervised on a One to One basis and are also required to have the following:
A minimum qualification of
“Operate and maintain chainsaws”, or equivalent and “Fell Small Trees” or equivalent.
- Chainsaw cut resistant trousers or chaps
- Sharp, well maintained, Spark arrested, 066 or equivalent saw, tool kit, fuel, oil, two wedges, axe or hammer.
Patrick Kenyon of Tree Tactics and Brendon Clark of Tree and Leave have “ Forest Operators Licenses ”.
All supervising instructors are qualified, competent and very experienced Arborists and have, Falling tickets, Chainsaw tickets, Current First Aid. All the instructors have worked extensively in the fire damaged areas.
08:00 Coffee,Introduction, PPE gear check,
09:00 Hazard Assessing
10:30 Basic Tree Falling
11:00 Safely Falling Fire Damaged Trees
12:30 Lunch ( Supplied)
13:00 Habitat Stump Creation
15:00 Dr Greg Moore: “Regeneration after Fire”
16:00 Erica Hotel ( Lemonade)
If you wish to take part, please register using the form below.